10 Feb — 24 Feb 2018
Newlyn Art Gallery
Structures Residency is a two-week evolving exhibition and residency of international artists whose practice is informed by networks, frameworks and systems. Bringing together 25 artists from the UK, Europe, and the US, the residency enables an exchange of methods, approaches and ideas. The artists will work together in an open-plan studio space in one half of the upper gallery, alongside an evolving exhibition of work made during the residency. (see Read More below for list of participating artists). The lower gallery will present a static exhibition of work to illustrate their usual practice and give a context to their time in the residency. The open nature of studio and exhibition in one space will enable conversations between visitors and artists.
As part of the residency, we have put together a series of events that will be running throughout February alongside the two-week evolving exhibition at Newlyn Art Gallery. These events provide an outstanding opportunity for young and emerging artists to work with both national and international professionals. You are invited to attend free with admission the following events:
- Thur 15 Feb, 16:00 – A talk and group discussion led by Heather Sheehan (Germany/US) about the ambivalent role of structure, or lack of, within art practice. A view into residency project plans versus results.
- Sat 17 Feb, 10:30 – 13:00 – Join Georgia Gendall for an informal workshop inspired by her ongoing project forcedcollaboration.org. Each participant will write instructions to make an artwork, which is passed to another to create from a supply of provided materials. No experience necessary, and lunch will be provided to participants.
- Sat 17 Feb, 14.30-16.30 – Join Anne-Marie Watson for a slow walk in Newlyn, stopping along the route to hear texts by various writers. Afterwards we will return to the gallery to assemble collected words that have emerged during the experience.
- Thurs 22 Feb 16.00-17.00 – A talk with Shawn Stilping Three Structures that changed my life – From Porto to Penzance.From an encounter with a modernist master in Portugal to a disastrous skirmish with a neighbour in Essex, and how the two led to an international collaboration in Cornwall.
- Fri 23 Feb, 16:00 – A discussion between artist Ivo Ringe and Neil Armstrong, plant expert and founder of Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens about structures in nature and art.
Call 01736 363715 or email [email protected] for more details.
Structures Residency is generously supported by Midas Group, Falmouth School of Art, and Aspects Holidays. Delivered in partnership with Cultivator and supported by the European Regional Development Fund, Arts Council England and Cornwall Council.
The Structures Kitchen will pop up in the café for the two weeks, providing street food from around the world for the artists and visitors. Tue – Sat, 12.00 – 14.00
Tim Allen (GB) / Stefan Annerel (B) / Bronwen Anwyl (GB) / Joe Barnes (USA) / Andrew Bick (GB) / Deb Covell (GB) / Rachael Coward (GB) / Rupert Eder (D) / Luke Frost (GB) / Karen Foss (GB) / Georgia Gendall (GB) / Hanz Hancock (GB) / Robert Ive (GB) / Michael Jaeger (D) / Michelle Jaffé (USA) / Liam Jolly (GB) / Patrick Morrissey (GB) / Roland Orépük (F) / Ivo Ringe (D) / Barbara Rosengarth (D) / Heather Sheehan (USA/D) / Shawn Stipling (GB) / Li Trincere (USA) / Anne-Marie Watson (GB) / Miro Zahra (CZ/D)