BRIEF FOR THE POSITION OF TRUSTEE AT NEWLYN ART GALLERY LTD
Newlyn Art Gallery Ltd is appointing a number of new Trustees to join its Board. We are seeking people with the experience, knowledge and commitment to support our existing work. We embrace diversity and equal opportunity: we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
This role would be suitable for people based anywhere in the UK, with occasional visits to the gallery.
THE TRUSTEES’ ROLE
Whilst we don’t expect all Trustees to be expert in all areas of governance, we do need to ensure that collectively the Board is able to provide the Gallery Director and team with access to a range of knowledge, skills and experience to operate effectively. Collectively members of the Board of Trustees must:
- Commit to the vision and values of Newlyn Art Gallery Ltd
- Be willing to contribute their skill and expertise fully to the Board’s collective decision-making
- Act as advocates for Newlyn Art Gallery Ltd
- Play an active role in the gallery’s search for funding
- Accept the legal duties and responsibilities of trusteeship
- Be willing to devote the necessary time and effort to the role and in particular be available to attend Zoom Board Meetings, support the Gallery Director and attend events as appropriate and participate in sub-committees or groups as agreed
- Be able to work effectively as part of a team
Being a Trustee is a voluntary role, however your expenses will be covered in order to support your work on behalf of the gallery. The law dictates that Trustees must be 18 or over but young and first-time Trustees are very welcome. New Trustees will be offered training and support, including mentoring if appropriate.
WHAT ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We need Trustees who are passionate about the work of the gallery and we also want to increase representation on our Board by:
- People who are Black, Asian or from other diverse backgrounds
- Younger people (between 18 and 30)
- People who identify as Cornish
- People with a disability
- People who are LGBTQIA+
- Those with digital knowledge and expertise
- Knowledge of teaching and innovative educational practice in schools
- A commitment to supporting our work in response to the Climate Emergency
For more details on us and the role of a Trustee, see TRUSTEE RECRUITMENT
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in joining our Board, we’d love to hear from you.
You application should include a statement of no more than 500 words to explain why you are interested in the position. Alternatively you may prefer to make a short video of yourself, recorded on your phone, providing the same information. Either would be equally welcome. This information should be emailed to Miranda Bird, Chair of the Trustees: [email protected]
Application deadline: Midnight, Tue 31 Aug
We want to make sure we do all we can to make applying for this role a positive experience for you. Therefore if you require adjustments or additional support, please get in touch with James Green, Gallery Director, who will be happy to provide you with what you need.
[email protected] or telephone 07729 333 016.