We are looking for an Operations Manager for The Exchange to join our team, working 4 days per week.
We are looking for someone who is entrepreneurial in their approach to maximizing commercial income and identifying areas of growth, with great organisational skills, who is able to work with a diverse team of volunteers and carry out a varied workload with a positive, can-do attitude, as per the job outline (below). You will oversee the maintenance and overall safety procedures for the premises, including being a keyholder and first-responder to out of hours alarms, so you will need to live within 30 minutes journey-time of the gallery.
Deadline for applications: 9:00, WED 21 SEP
Interviews: in person or via Zoom, THU 29 & FRI 30 SEP
For more information about Newlyn Art Gallery & The Exchange, see About Us
SALARY Band 5 £21,680 – £25,887 (pro rata, eg 4 days/30 hrs per week £17,344 – £20,710))
EMPLOYMENT TERM Part-time, permanent contract, 4 days per week
DAYS / HRS OF WORK 30 hours per week
LINE MANAGER Deputy Director [Commercial/Operations] – currently vacant
PURPOSE OF THE OPERATIONS MANAGER ROLE:
The Operations Manager will ensure a fantastic customer experience is delivered at The Exchange. Responsibilities include health & safety; security of the building, artwork and cash on the premises; risk management; coordination of volunteers and café staff, management of the online shop, and supporting the Deputy Director Commercial/Operations to ensure trading and visitor targets are achieved.
The Operations Manager will oversee the maintenance and overall safety procedures for the premises. This role comes with a high level of responsibility that is reflected in the salary. You will be a keyholder and first-responder to out of hours alarms, so you will need to live within 30 minutes journey-time of the gallery.
We are looking for someone who is entrepreneurial in their approach to maximizing commercial income and identifying areas of growth, with great organisational skills, who is able to work with a diverse team of volunteers and carry out a varied workload with a positive, can-do attitude. In addition, the role will have a strong focus on e-commerce; maintaining the online shop, uploading stock items, photographing items when required, and ensuring that orders are fulfilled promptly and with care.
We are passionate about encouraging more and different types of visitors to use our galleries, and engage with our programmes, and the Operations Manager will play a key role in this work. We’d like to welcome more children and young people to the gallery and encourage older people to visit more regularly too.
We want to encourage more people with disabilities or other protected characteristics to feel welcome here, so if you have any experience of the kind of barriers these visitors might face, that could be very useful.
Above all, we are interested in your potential to carry out this role, which is not dependent upon qualifications, but relevant skills and transferable experience.
THE ROLE OF OPERATIONS MANAGER INVOLVES:
- Being the principle on-site manager of The Exchange building.
- Ensuring an warm welcome and a positive experience for all of our visitors.
- Supporting, motivating and growing our excellent team of volunteers.
- Supporting gallery trading activities with a particular emphasis on entrance ticket sales and retail, including our online shop, and exploring new potential trading activities.
- Overseeing all aspects of the safe and efficient operation and management of The Exchange building, from scheduling maintenance work and overseeing contractors, to leading on health & safety matters, security (including being a key-holder and out-of hours alarm responder), and being the point of contact for our property management company.
- Managing key supplier contracts relating to the building, including insurance, energy and security
- Supporting the Deputy Director [Commercial/Operations] to set and achieving income targets and identify financial efficiencies across your area.
- Attending training for own development where required.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has excellent people skills and a positive attitude to problem-solving.
- Is entrepreneurial and excited to maximise the commercial potential of the organisation.
- Is well organised and confident with responsibility.
- Is a creative thinker who enjoys working in a hands-on way.
- Has a positive and helpful attitude and is able to work well in a small team.
- Is familiar with software such as Microsoft Office, Point Of Sale systems, e-commerce systems and WordPress.
- Has a positive attitude to the work of Newlyn Art Gallery & The Exchange and is enthusiastic about the ability of the arts to inspire, delight and bring about positive change.
To apply for this job, please complete the application form below , and return it to [email protected] along with a completed equal opportunities form.
Deadline for applications: 9:00, WED 21 SEP