22 Apr — 15 Jul 2017
Newlyn Art Gallery
The paintings by the eight artists in this exhibition share a sense of improvisation. Like the act of drawing, they are a way for the artist to work through ideas and pose questions. Their marks have been made with a speed and spontaneity, executed quickly to capture changing thoughts and situations.
Some of the artists have been drawn to a particular location or subject, repeatedly, to better understand it; tapping away till it reveals itself. For others, there is an underlying questioning of the social and political landscape of the world today.
Memory, and its fluid versions of truth, often acts as a source or starting point, to revisit, to reimagine. From the commonplace to the cosmic, the eight artists in this exhibition are questioning with paint, What is this place?
Opening Event: Fri 21 Apr 19.00 – 21.00, Little Wonder Café and pay bar, free entry, all welcome.
Artists’ Discussion: Sat 22 Apr, 11.00. Join the exhibiting artists and curator Blair Todd for an informal discussion about works in the exhibition. Free with admission.
- Samuel Bassett (b St Ives 1982, works in St Ives)
- Romi Behrens (b Wiltshire 1939, works in Rosudgeon, Cornwall)
- Gordon Dalton (b Middlesbrough 1970, works in Cardiff)
- Freya Douglas-Morris (b London 1980, works in London)
- Danny Fox (b St Ives 1986, works in Los Angeles)
- Ben Sanderson (b Coventry 1987, works in Helston, Cornwall)
- Corinna Spencer (b London, works in Torquay)
- Lucy Stein (b Oxford 1979, works in St Just, Cornwall)
Curated by Blair Todd.
Many of the works are for sale, please contact the Gallery for a price list.